Monday, May 4, 2009

Loved and inspired (Or: My dream. Or: Profundity. Or: JOY)

I've been having a hard time deciding how to go about this post. I had a fantastic weekend; profound even; so much so that I'm not sure how to do it justice in the format of a blog post.

My friends, here and elsewhere, really really love me. I'm starting to believe this not only on an intellectual level, but also in my heart. I am a person who can be, and is in fact, deeply loved. I am deeply loved. I wish I could properly express how long of a journey it has been, how far I've come, to begin to understand these words. Thank you, to all of you who have given me so much, who give me so much.

I also met an incredible person this weekend who gave me, among many other things, this question: "What is your dream?"

The question of what to do with my life has terrified me for years. Through the lens of my depression, every time I dared peek at my long-range future, all I could see was a deathly boredom, a quiet despair. I'm incredibly intelligent, talented, passionate, but any career I imagined brought with it the specter of eventual boredom, of emptiness, of confirmation of the fear that life could not bring me satisfaction. I've avoided the question, "what is your dream?" because I feared it would reveal an unbearably dark truth: that I have no dream, that I will always be unhappy.

The person I met this weekend beautifully exemplifies a life lived free of the fear that plagues me. He is audacious; when he has an idea, he brings it to life. And he audaciously, persistently asked me again and again, "What is your dream?" I floundered at first, but within the spirit of possibility he provided, my brain found room to work on the question. And it found, I found, a potential answer.

I would love to create, or help create, a curriculum for K-12 social science education that develops strong critical thinking skills in students. I would get a double-phd in education and history. (Is such a thing even possible/sane? Maybe one phd would be enough haha.) I would also teach for several years, and go back to the classroom every few years--it's so important to stay connected with the realities of teaching. This project, this kind of work, has the potential to combine my love of people, my passion for education, my fascination with social science, my intellect, and my writing skills to let me do something profound. Also, I have the relatively unique position of having grown up in and really understanding "normal" middle America while also having had access to rigorous education and radical ideas, which could (combined with some luck in the wind) give me the ability to write a curriculum that truly promotes critical thinking while remaining politically palatable to state governments/boards of education.

I'm somewhat afraid to put this idea out in the public sphere because it's very big; perhaps it reads as a pipe-dream, or sounds horribly out of touch with the realities of public education in the U.S. But this blog is about courage, no? So world, here is my dream: I want to make the kind of education I was so so lucky to receive at an elite university accessible to the children, the people, of America. I can actually see myself spending my life in this kind of work; I can look at this future without cowering in terror; I can face it with energy and hope.

Also, I feel so good that I find myself turning to the words of Alanis Morisette, "that I would be good even if I did nothing." These words are not the paradox that they seem.

It is the belief "that I would be good even if I did nothing" that will give me the freedom to embark upon a journey toward such a grand vision. It is not the work that will make me good. I am good; it is my knowledge that I am good no matter what that creates the freedom for me to explore my potential.

Oh joyful, joyful day.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Kate... I know it's been a long time, but remember me from Ottawa? :o) I just wanted to let you know that I have recently read a couple of your blog posts, and I really admire you. I lost my dad to depression last year, and it just makes me really happy to know that you have been able to work through it and learn to find happiness again. Good luck with everything, and know that you're an inspiration!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, your dream sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Genna, I remember you of course!!! I'm so so sorry to hear that you lost your father, I had no idea that had happened; my deepest sympathies. Thank you so much for your comments; it means so so much to know that what I'm writing is touching other people, and I really appreciate hearing from you and getting encouragement from you! Lots of love to you and your family, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and inspiring blog. I was simultaneously smiling and tearing up as I read it. I think it’s time to re-evaluate my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! Send it to me when you're finished. I'm sick of writing (and constantly re-writing) my whole curriculum from scratch for 6 classes per year. IT GETS REALLY OLD WHEN EVERYTHING SUCKS in social studies. And you know it isn't a pipe dream - what you really need to do is find all the awesome stuff that other teachers are out there already doing and collect it, edit it and share it! That's something we teachers just don't have time to do!!! Plus I'd trust you to get it right. Also don't feel like you need to go through stupid boards of ed. They change all the time and they change curriculum all the time. Social studies (being relatively untested in most places) gets to slip by doing whatever they want. So I stay start a website!

    Ok see what you did there was re-inspire me a lil! Sorry for all the unsolicited advice. - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. No absolutely, thanks for sharing those ideas Laura!!! Collecting ideas from teachers is totally smart, as would be a website, for sure! Thanks for the encouragement on not worrying about boards of ed either. :)

    And Kanika, thank you so much for such a lovely response!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a plan, Kate. 2 things:

    1. A double Ph.D. (or even just one in a weird combination) can exist if you want it to. If I've learned anything in the past year, it's that graduate education is about YOU, the student. It shouldn't be about fitting yourself and your interests into existing disciplines. You should, instead, have the freedom to tailor it to whatever it is you wish to pursue. So if you have an idea, go for it.

    2. If you ever need a science advisor, let me know.

    ~Melinda

    ReplyDelete